Sunday, May 8, 2016

Hand Book


Hand Book is my first foray into home publishing.  It's a 32-page booklet bound with a 5-hole pamphlet stitch, measuring approximately 8.75 by 5.5 inches closed.  

I made the cover from doubled, folded and glued Tyvek, which I painted, stamped and overpainted.  I am very impressed with Tyvek, because it is strong, lightweight, pliable, and takes acrylic ink like magic.  This is no doubt because it doesn't contain one natural ingredient, but I'm overlooking that for now.  This booklet's cover might survive the End Times.  

I created Hand Book in MS Publisher.  It took me more than a day because I'd never attempted layout in Publisher before.  Turns out it's not very difficult, but of course there's a learning curve.  After writing and rewriting the text, I painted the images and applied collage embellishments.  The result is a nifty little product which anyone with hands, or who hopes one day to have hands, should find useful.  Here are some of the pages: